The services and collections of the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives cross the broad areas of science, art and design, history and culture, and also the intersections among them. The following guides represent our support of the work of museums and zoos as cultural institutions, including exhibit design, education and outreach, visitor services and programs, assessment, organization, administration and fund raising, and the storage and conservation of materials.
- Anthropology Research Guide: Includes Smithsonian and other web-based resources related to archaeology, ethnology, anthropology, Native American studies, and linguistics.
- Finding and Accessing E-books and Books Online: Get tips for accessing e-books and digitized books from Smithsonian Libraries and Archives.
- For Educators: Smithsonian Libraries and Archives resources available for teaching K-12 curricula and for educators' professional development.
- From Smithson to the Smithsonian: The Birth of an Institution: An online exhibition, produced for the 150th anniversary of the Smithsonian in 1996, by the Smithsonian Libraries and Archives and the Smithsonian Architectural History and Historic Preservation Division (now Smithsonian Preservation).
- COVID-19 Funding Guide: A guide to pandemic related initiatives and projects developed for Smithsonian staff. This guide includes tips for finding funding, links to grant databases, curated funding opportunities, and a comprehensive database on COVID-19-related citations.
- Genealogy Research Guide: This guide identifies a select list of resources relating to American biography, family history, genealogy, and local history.
- Information on Old Books: Learn how to care for and find homes for old books.
- Introduction to Library Services and Collections: A guide to using the Smithsonian Libraries for research.
- Maps Research Guide: Links to map collections, and cartographic dictionary and glossary resources.
- Off-Site Access to Smithsonian Libraries and Archives' Electronic Resources: A guide for SI staff to access subscription-based e-journals, e-books, and databases while working off-site.
- Smithsonian Institution Archives Services: A guide to the services offered by the Smithsonian Institution Archives.
- Year of Music Research Guide: Discover musical collections across our libraries in this guide created to celebrate Smithsonian's 2019 Year of Music.
These interdisciplinary branches and collections hold materials that support staff across the entire Smithsonian Institution. Contact the subject librarians at each branch for more details on resources and access to collections.
- Museum Studies and Smithsoniana Collection: Materials in the areas of museum education, operations, organization, administration and management, visitor services, and programs, as well as a collection of Smithsonian publications.
- Museum Support Center Library: Supports the research needs of staff at the Smithsonian's Museum Support Center and across the Institution for the purposes of collections storage, research, and conservation.
- Smithsonian Libraries Research Annex: The most subject-diverse branch within the Smithsonian Libraries system, with extensive serials holdings as well as monographs, and many unique and specialized collections.